Sedentary lifestyles keep ruining our overall health in numerous ways, and the best way to counteract these effects is to start exercising regularly and be more physically active.
Physical inactivity has been shown to contribute to the development of various health conditions, such as:
- Physical inactivity raises the risk of certain cardiovascular diseases
- People who engage in more physical activity have a lower risk of coronary heart disease
- Physical inactivity has been associated with high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels
- People who are more active have a lower risk of being overweight or obese
- Sitting too much may reduce skeletal muscle mass
- Physical inactivity raises the risks of certain cancers
- Physical inactivity contributes to anxiety and depression
It is a fact that we are living in a hectic and fast-paced era, but statistics show that an average American has about 4 hours of free time daily.
Yet, most of us decide to spend them in front of the TV, snacking, or scrolling down on Facebook, instead of doing something to get in shape. If you are too busy to hit the gym, you have still no excuse for not working out, as there are some amazing workout programs that can be done anytime, at home!
A popular fitness trainer, Denise Austin, recommends a routine that involves 5 simple chair exercises suitable for busy women and workaholics, that will help you get the body of your dreams: